The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal (SDT) is constituted as a Statutory Tribunal under Section 46 (PDF) of The Solicitors’ Act 1974.
The Tribunal currently has 56 members, all appointed by The Master of the Rolls. The Solicitors Regulation Authority instigates over 90% of the cases dealt with by the Tribunal. The remaining cases are commenced by members of the public.
The LSB has a more limited oversight role in relation to the SDT compared to the regulatory bodies. Our core responsibilities are to approve the SDT’s annual budget and changes to the SDT’s rules.
The SDT’s Budget
The LSB Board approves the SDT’s annual budget in line with a Memorandum of Understanding 2019 (PDF) signed by the LSB, SDT and Law Society. The Law Society is under an obligation to pay that sum which it collects from firms and individuals via the practising certificate fees.
- 2021 Budget by category and explanation of the variances from
2020: Annex B (PDF)
- SDT Budget principles: Annex C (PDF)
- SDT Efficiency Impact Assessment: Annex D (PDF)
- SDT Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy 2020-2023: Annex E (PDF)
- Review of the SDT’s Key Performance Measures: Annex F (PDF)
SDT’s application (PDF)
- SDT Budget principles: Annex B (PDF)
- SDT Efficiency Impact Assessment: Annex C (PDF)
- SDT Reserves Policy Statement: Annex D (PDF)
- SDT Proposed Revision of Key Performance Indicators: Annex E (PDF)
- Response to the LSB’s initial queries on the Tribunal’s budget application 2020 Annex F (PDF)
The SDT’s Rules
Similar to the regulatory bodies any changes to the SDT’s Rules, must also be approved by the LSB.
Application to LSB for the approval of new Solicitors (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules
Start date for 28 day initial decision period:
7 May 2019
Links to relevant documents:
Initial decision period is 28 days and can be extended to 90 days upon issue of an extension notice.
We have issued an extension notice [PDF] which extends the initial decision period to 4 August 2019, pursuant to paragraph 21(5) of Schedule 4 to the Legal Services Act 2007.
Letter from the Legal Services Consumer Panel (LSCP) dated 3 June 2019 [PDF]
Response from the SDT dated 17 June 2019 [PDF]
Further response from the SDT dated 26 June 2019 [PDF]
The LSB is granting the application in full. Please see our Decision notice (PDF) for more information, including the rules we are approving.